Beattie kiboshes Folau NRL comeback bid
ARL Commission chairman Peter Beattie has slammed the door shut on Israel Folau's bid to return to the NRL after his sacking by Rugby Australia.
Beattie had ruled out allowing the dual international back into the game which made him a star following his social media posts, in which he claimed homosexuals were going to "hell".
News Corp on Wednesday reported Folau was willing to offer the NRL the chance to vet any religious social media posts in exchange for his return.
But Beattie reiterated his position on Wednesday, saying they would not register a contract with the 30-year-old under any circumstance.
"Our position on Israel Folau remains the same," Beattie told AAP.
"We are an inclusive game with respect for all. Israel has social media posts online that go against what our game stands for.
"As it stands, he will not be considered for registration. What Israel chooses to do in relation to his social media posts and his faith is a matter for him."
Rugby Australia tore up Folau's $5 million, four-year contract after he refused to take down an Instagram post which quoted bible scripture and said homosexuals and other sinners were destined for hell.
Folau was reportedly willing to make concessions to revive his rugby league career but the NRL are steadfast he cannot be trusted as a repeat offender.
He had previously used social media to tell a follower God's plan for homosexuals was: "Hell.. unless they repent of their sins and turn to God."
It's understood the NRL were also angered the story emerged on the day of the State of Origin series opener at Suncorp Stadium.
They also took a dim view after he walked out on the game at the end of 2010 to sign with the AFL.
Folau played 91 games for Melbourne and Brisbane and was one of the game's biggest stars, making five Origin and eight Test appearances before defecting to rival codes.
© AAP 2019