Five teens charged over weekend crime spree
Five teenagers are facing charges after a string of alleged robberies in Townsville.
Police say the group tried to steal a number of vehicles on Sunday, while in a stolen Hyundai Accent.
Two youths allegedly assaulted a 32-year-old woman while trying to steal her car at Aitkenvale around midday, before fleeing.
It will be further alleged the same Hyundai steered another motorist off the road on Hudson Street, Kirwan with a girl stopping the 42-year-old driver and attempting to rob her of the vehicle with an unknown sharp object.
The 42-year-old woman managed to drive away without injury.
A short time later, it's alleged the occupants of the Hyundai stole a handbag from an elderly woman outside an Aitkenvale shopping centre.
The group's next alleged crime happened in a Kirwan shopping centre carpark.
A Toyota Rav4 had been left in idle by the owner, with a 14-year-old boy waiting in the car.
The group of youths allegedly threatened to assault the boy and stole the vehicle when the he got out.
Both vehicles were later found dumped in Kirwan and Pallarenda.
Police patrolling Bundock Street in Belgian Gardens arrested five youths after a pursuit on foot.
Their charges included:
- A 14-year-old Condon girl charged with one count of unarmed robbery and two counts of unlawful use of motor vehicle.
- A 15-year-old Condon boy charged with one count each of unarmed robbery, evasion, and two counts each of unlawful use of motor vehicle and driving whilst unlicenced.
- A 15-year-old Condon girl charged with two counts of unlawful use of motor vehicle and a drug offence.
- A 15-year-old Kelso girl charged with one count of unlawful use of motor vehicle and one count of stealing.
- A 16-year-old Cranbrook girl charged with one count of unlawful use of motor vehicle and two counts of stealing.