NEWS

Local News

Oil lamp sparks late-night kitchen fire at Douglas

 fire_truckqfes.jpg

A dripping oil lamp is being blamed for a kitchen fire at Douglas.

Two fire crews were called to Saint Kilda Row just before 10pm on Wednesday.

They arrived to find plumes of smoke billowing from the kitchen of a single-storey home.

The entire complex the house was in, was also covered in a cloud of smoke.

A spokesperson says fire fighters had to force their way through the front door of the tin and brick house, but managed to put the blaze out in just ten minutes.

They say a dripping oil lamp sparked the blaze.

Crews made sure the area was safe before leaving the scene in the hands of the occupant.