Local News

Townsville Man Shot By Police In Bowen Charged With Attempted Murder

UPDATE | The man at the centre of a shooting in Bowen, has had his case mentioned in court on Tuesday.

35-year-old Du Hai Le is facing five offences including attempted murder.

It comes after he allegedly forced his way into Bowen Police Station in October, armed with a bladed weapon and chain.

Officers confronted him, shooting him twice in the hand and abdomen.

He was remanded in police custody, after his court appearance on Tuesday.

The case returns back in court on January 28.

No police officers were hurt during the incident.

EARLIER | A 35-year-old Bowen man has been charged after he was accused of breaking into the rear doors of the Bowen Police Station less than a fortnight ago.  

He has been charged with two counts of serious assault police and one count each of attempted murder, commit acts intending to do grievous bodily harm and break and enter premises over the incident on October 9.

His appearance in court was excused last week as he is still recovering from injuries. The man remains in hospital under guard.

He is to next appear at Bowen Magistrates Court on December 3.

If you have information for police, contact Policelink on 131 444 or provide information using the online form 24hrs per day.

You can report information about crime anonymously to Crime Stoppers, a registered charity and community volunteer organisation, by calling 1800 333 000 or via 24hrs per day.

Quote this reference number: QP1901971099

EARLIER | A man is recovering in Hospital after he was shot by police in Bowen.

At around 2:30PM on Wednesday the man, armed with a bladed weapon and a chain, broke into the rear doors of the Bowen Police Station.

During a confrontation with Police, Officers fired shots from their service weapons, hitting him in the hand and the abdomen.

Police then rendered first-aid until emergency services arrived at the scene.

A 35-year-old man was transported to Townsville Hospital in a serious condition.

No police officers were physically injured during the incident.

A crime scene has been declared and the matter is being investigated by the Ethical Standards Command, with oversight from the Crime and Corruption Commission.

Vision below.