Townsville Disaster Management Group On 'Alert'
The Townsville Local Disaster Management Group (TLDMG) has moved to Alert with multiple bushfires warnings current in the region.
The TLDMG Chair Mayor Jenny Hill said the group would continue to monitor the situation and receive updates from the Queensland Fire and Emergency Services.
“The TLDMG has moved to Alert so we can be ready for any changes to circumstances and provide support wherever it may be needed,” Cr Hill said.
“QFES remains the best source of information and all warnings they send should be taken seriously by those in the affected areas.
“We will continue to monitor the situation and I urge the community to take all precautions, minimise their smoke exposure and drive to conditions around the city.”
The QFES advice for those in affected areas is below:
• Listen to your local radio station or visit the Rural Fire Service (RFS) website for regular updates.
• If you have a bushfire survival plan, refer to it now and be ready to follow it.
• If you do not have a bushfire survival plan, or if your plan is to leave, identify where you will go if the situation changes.
• Close windows and doors to minimise smoke exposure.
• If you suffer from a respiratory condition, keep your medication close by.
• Drive with caution in low visibility conditions.
• Contact your neighbours to see if they need help preparing for the bushfire.
• Consider finding your essential items (e.g., identification documents, prescription medication, food and water, and protective clothing such as a long-sleeved cotton shirt and trousers, and boots) in case you need to leave.
• Consider what you will do to protect your pets and livestock.
• Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
• Advise family and friends of your intended actions if the situation changes.
To stay up to date, visit: http://disaster.townsville.qld.gov.au/ (click on Fire Incidents) or https://newsroom.psba.qld.gov.au/Content/State-News/04-Bushfire-Warnings/1020/1086